You are cordially invited to the 2019 Water and Land Grand Dharma Service
to celebrate the 20th
anniversary of Lingyen Mountain Temple in Canada. United in prayers and guided by Venerable Masters from Canada and abroad, let us cultivate diligently and transfer the merits and blessings from this rare Buddhist ritual to all sentient beings of the past and present.
What is it?
2019 Water and Land Grand Dharma Service
The original scripture of this ritual was written during the reign of Emperor Wu of the Liang Dynasty (502 – 549). Decreed by the Emperor, a group of Venerable Masters led by State Master Baozhi spent three years to compose the scripture whose name, Water and Land
, refers to all sentient beings in the air, on the ground, and in the water. The purpose of this rarely held ritual is to eradicate the sufferings of all past and present sentient beings of the Six Paths
and Four Forms of Birth
What will we be praying for?
Together, we will recite scriptures, prostrate to Buddhas, and dedicate the resulting blessings and merits to the following:
- All insects and life forms harmed by pedestrians and during the Temple’s past and present construction projects
- Every benefactor’s ancestors and karmic enemies from past and present lifetimes
- Blessings and a long, healthy life for all benefactors
- Eradicating the sufferings of all beings trapped in the Realm of Hungry Ghosts
- All military service men and women who lost their lives in the line of duty, and all sentient beings who lost their lives during natural and man-made disasters
- World peace and prosperity, and the happiness of all people
- Harmony within the global Sangha community; diligent observance of the Buddha’s Precepts; propagation of the Buddha’s teachings; rebirth in the Western Pure Land and attainment of Buddhahood for all